29 June 2013

Patty Pan: The Full Size Quilt

One of the first really big "fabric treats" I indulged in was a full FQ set of Anna Maria Horner's Loulouthi line.  She is one of my favorite fabric designers, and I'm always impressed with all the beautiful and quirky details that are included in her prints.


With this quilt, made up of 24-inch Patty Pan blocks, I found a way to use my loot while prominently featuring the intricate large-scale prints. This block structure allows for you to feature any 12-inch (finished) block in the center, making it perfect for sampler quilts, too.

I've been working away at this quilt for quite some time, so what follows is a pretty photo-heavy version of the whole process!



I carefully created sets of three fat quarters for each block: a large scale one for the center, and two coordinating prints for the inner and outer layers.  As usual, this was one of my favorite parts, and I really love each block on its own.









In the end, I ran out of large-scale fabrics, so I made do with some leftovers for this block:


Once I had pieced them all together, I realized that after all that effort, I might as well bump up the entire quilt size so that I could use it--every day--on a bed.


(Some solid white and stashed Innocent Crush did the job.)


I didn't expect this, but it is funny how the sashing doesn't necessarily register visually when the quilt is on a bed, especially tucked in.


Since the quilt was so huge, I decided to send it out to a long arm quilter.  I'm happy to say that my first experience having someone else quilt for me was wonderful, thanks to Patti Trygg!

Together, we chose a "Triangle Meander" quilting shape, which I think complements the zig zags so, so well.

Before washing:


...and then all crinkly:


For a backing, I used a beautiful forest-y silhouette from Jay McCarroll's Habitat, and the quilting shows up really nicely.


For binding, the ever-wonderful Loulouthi "Stockings" stripe was always my plan.


More than any other quilt I've made, this one is based on what I like.  Not what I want to experiment with, not what I think a quilt's recipient would like, but on what I would want, and I couldn't be happier with the result.

After a thorough inspection, it is clear that I'm not the only one ;)



Pin It!

14 comments:

  1. it's so lovely - a great pattern to show off those prints! And could your cat be any more adorable? I don't think so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, I love this quilt! Ordered the pattern already, it will be my "reward" quilt when I get all 52 Quilts in 52 Weeks pieced this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing Loulouthi this way! Perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just so fabulous! Love the bed too-- and the kitty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!!! What a great block for showing off your favorite big-print fabrics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is beautiful, goes perfectly with your bed and shows off your cat adorably!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt. You have expressed the joy in creating your quilt wonderfully in this post. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm, most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect pattern choice for those luscious fabrics! Congratulations on a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this and I know exactly what you mean about the satisfaction of making a quilt which is exactly what you want, rather than being tailored towards anyone else's preferences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this quilt and wish I had seen it for inspiration for a quilt I'm working on from the same fabrics but in a log cabin
    design. It looks amazing on that bed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some how I missed this quilt when you first posted it ~ it's really lovely. The zig zag around each block is so cleverly done ~ really a stunning quilt! And it's kitty approved!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!